Novated Leasing is a finance arrangement used with salary packaging, where your employer pays for your Lexus finance and vehicle running costs directly from your salary.
You select the Lexus vehicle of your choice and an agreement is set up between you, your employer and Lexus Financial Services (LFS). Your employer makes payments to LFS directly from your salary.
You can enjoy the convenience of motoring whilst saving on tax and running costs including fuel, maintenance and tyre purchases.
AS AN EMPLOYEE NOVATED LEASE OFFERS THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS:
- Tax-effective financing through pre- and post-tax salary deduction.
- Control and flexibility - drive the Lexus of your choice that suits your lifestyle.
- Convenient motoring - with the option to include all vehicle running costs.
- Fixed payments for the term of the Novated Lease.
- Flexibility with a range of lease terms from 1-5 years.
- The potential to access Fleet discounts through Lexus Financial Services.
- Competitive servicing, maintenance and tyres
- Further savings with a fuel card.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT DO I NEED TO CONSIDER WHEN TAKING OUT A NOVATED LEASE?
- What type of car do you want?
- Check out your employer's policy on novated leasing
- Decide how much you can afford
- Think about car options and accessories
- Estimate how many kilometres you'll travel each year (private and business)
- Decide on a lease term that suits you
- Consider independent financial advice
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN A NOVATED LEASE?
- Vehicle price and accessories
- Dealer delivery charges
- First year registration and CTP insurance
- Purchase stamp duty
- Novated lease establishment fee
- Personal Property Security registration fee
- Luxury Car Tax (if applicable)
- Mechanical repairs, maintenance and servicing
- Replacement tyres
- Roadside assistance
- Comprehensive insurance
- Registration/CTP renewals
Lexus Financial Services also offers novated lease protection insurance as an optional extra. That way, if you aren't able to work, your lease will continue to be paid for up to six months, with a hand-back option if you don't gain employment within that time.
- Insurance excess
WHAT IS FBT?
As a result, two types of tax apply: Income Tax for your cash salary and fringe benefits tax (FBT) for your car.
There are two ways to calculate FBT on vehicles: The Statutory Method and the Operating Cost Method.
The Statutory Method uses the value of your car as a basis for calculating the taxable value. It doesn't take into account private vs. business usage, and the amount of FBT doesn't change. This method is popular for novated leases, as many employees use their car for little or no business use.
Under the Statutory Method, your employer can offset your FBT liability by making after-tax contributions towards the vehicle's running costs, equivalent to the FBT liability. This is called the Employee Contribution Method. It means an amount will be set up and deducted from both your pre-tax and post-tax income to offset the FBT liability. This has greater tax benefits if your salary is below $180,000.
The Operating Cost Method calculates the FBT liability using the total costs of operating the car over the year. FBT is then payable on the portion of private use. This means the driver will need a logbook to work out the private vs business use. This method is suited to employees who use the car predominantly for business as it can work out cheaper than the Statutory Method.
Your FBT status may differ if you work in specific industry sectors such as not for profit and medical. If you are unsure of your FBT status, please contact us to clarify.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I CHANGE EMPLOYERS?
Your new employer will need to agree to and sign the novation agreement.
If your new employer does not wish to enter in to a novation agreement, your services will cease and you will be required to continue lease payments from your after-tax salary. Alternatively, you can pay out your lease or refinance with a consumer loan.
Talk to us about how we can help.
Approved applicants only. Terms, conditions, fees and charges apply. A minimum loan term of 12 months applies. The maximum loan term will vary depending on the finance product selected and will be subject to Lexus Financial Services policy and procedure. You may be required to pay a deposit for capacity reasons. Additional interest charges will accrue if you select a balloon final payment option and early termination fees may apply if you elect to make additional repayments during the loan term.
Target Market Determination document available here